Monday, December 7, 2009

Weyerbacher: Slam Dunkel

On a cold Monday night in Wisconsin, I need a little beer to warm the spirits! At Barriques, a local wine store/cafe/snack shop, I decided to grab a bite to eat and a good (hopefully) beer.


Tonight I opted for Weyerbacher's Slam Dunkel. While I have heard of Weyerbacher (in Easton, PA), I was unfamiliar with the Slam Dunkel... a "Double Dunkelweizen Ale." It just so happens that one of my favorite beers of all time is the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel, so I figured I'd give it a shot!


How does it measure up?


When pouring it, I wasn't sure if I should expect an ultra-foamy and cloudy brew (like the unfiltered Franziskaner) or if it would be entirely different. It pours with little-to-no head and, despite being a maple brown color, is quite transparent. (Let's pause for a moment to acknowledge my concern... eep!) It has a nice smell which is almost reminiscent of a nut brown... ever so slightly sweet, but robust and quite evidently dark.


The initial flavor is very good and quite closely matches its bouquet. It is incredibly smooth in your mouth and finishes nicely, sweetly, and with courage, but with no "yeasty" flavor (or nose tickle). I mentioned my concern before, upon seeing something with such little indication of sediment. At this point I am relieved because the beer is quite flavorful! Perhaps, even, a slam dunk!


According to the bottle:


-7% ABV


According to the Weyerbacher website:


-Initially a small batch release (but was popular enough to make the seasonal rotation)

-It is unfiltered (which was surprising to me)

-Over 50% Wheat Malt

-addition of pale, Munich and chocolate (for flavor and color)

-its bitterness is subdued to allow the Weihenstephen yeast to shine through with its hints of clove and banana

-available in March (although I bought it on December 7th, 2009)


I cannot say that this beer surpasses my adoration for the Franziskaner, but it is a really nice dark wheat which I would recommend to any wheat or dark beer lover!

No comments:

Post a Comment