Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Duvel

I decided to do a little research yesterday before going to an amazing cheese fondue dinner party. My subject this time: Duvel

Upon ordering this beer, I had no idea what to expect. I had not heard of it except for seeing it at the bar. The bottle was a little dark, so it was not easy to guess what may be contained within!

While I watched the pouring process, I was surprised by the amount of head. It seemed to be nearly half the glass! It looked really nice with its thick chunk of golden beery goodness topped with a thick white layer, but the former penny-pinching college student in me screamed "WE WANT MORE... BEER!" All I needed was a minute to refocus my attention on the beer and not on my football game nostalgia...

Although many Americans see head as a bad thing, the rest of the world tends to appreciate it for its aroma, appearance and even flavor. I guess I'll have to agree with the rest of the world on this one.

Before drinking, I decided to examine the label. Here is what I learned:
- Duvel is a top fermented golden ale
- It's from Belgium
- It is bottle conditioned
- It is 8.5% alcohol by volume
- The brewery was founded in 1871

Then I tasted it.

My first reaction was "Wow! What a nose full!" The scent of this beer is very strong and very nice. I think it SMELLS Belgian, if that makes sense. I actually sort of forgot what I thought of the flavor at first since the odor was so overwhelming.

I had to drink a bit more. The more I thought about it, the more I was surprised. I thought it was light, but at the same time this beer had some flavor! I wanted to think fruity (because of the yeasty smell), but it was not really sweet. Then I wanted to think crisp. However, the flavor, while peaking at the beginning of the sip, does not entirely die off at the end. Maybe sharp is a better adjective. As you complete the sip, the flavor becomes a little sour.

While I was enjoying my beer, I needed to keep my eye on the time. (I definitely did not want to show up late for cheese fondue!) I steadily sipped my beer over the course of about 30 minutes. I must admit, I was a little more affected by this beer than I anticipated. Of course, being 8.5% alcohol, it offers a kick that most beers do not. As time went on, I did tire of the beer a little bit. The interesting initial flavor burst was not as exciting 20 or 30 minutes in. In order to catch my train, I attempted to finish off the last of it in one big chug. Ugh! I think temperature played a big role in why it became more difficult to enjoy at the end.

While Duvel is a light beer, it is not a typical light beer lover's beer. I think the flavor is much more complex and strong that most light been lovers can handle. I tend to prefer medium to dark beer and/or really hoppy beer. Duvel was neither. That is not necessarily a bad thing. As I mentioned before, the smell and complexity of this beer were a pleasant surprise. I have a feeling that this is not going to become one of my favorite beers, but I do recommend it for people who like a little something more from their light beer.

Let's check out what the makers of Duvel have to say about it!

- Duvel is triple fermented. (the last time being in the bottle)
- Because of this process, it has a long shelf life. (up to three years)
- This fermentation is also what causes the higher alcohol percentage.
- With age, this beer is supposed to become better and more complex.
- The name of the beer means "devil" in Flemish.
- It can be pronounced du-VEL or DU-vl.
- The head on the beer is entirely intentional. In fact, it clings to the glass the entire time, producing "Belgian lace" which is a sign of a high quality beer.
- Duvel was created to "have the complexity and dept of an ale, with the ease and refreshing nature of a pilsner."
- The brewing process for Duvel takes about 3 months.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, you picked a good beer for a cheese fondue night. Too bad they wouldn't let you take it with you...

    ReplyDelete