Monday, September 7, 2009

Warning - Do not drink this beer!

OK, so maybe the title is a bit exaggerated (not that I ever exaggerate anything...) I am not going to do a full analysis today, but I recently had a beer that I thought was really bad. I just thought I would share with/warn you.


Abbreviated version: I do not recommend the Sam Adams' Summer Ale.


(For those of you with time to kill, keep reading.)


I was recently at Detroit's international airport, and I had some free stuff thanks to Delta Air. A $20 gift certificate to anywhere in the airport. Nice! My layover gave me enough time for a beer! I stopped into this pub that was near my boarding place. The place had quite a few beers, but most of them were boring domestics that you can get anywhere... The only one that intrigued me was the Sam Adams' Summer Ale. I like ales, and I know that Sam Adams tries to come up with a variety of better than average beers. Why not?

I did not like the Sam Adams' Summer Ale... at all. It looks nice, but has very little head. Its odor is OK, but kind of flat and slightly bitter. It does not taste good. The very first sip was boring and earthy. The flavor peaks in the middle of the sip, but it is not intense. It got a little bit better over time, but not much. It also left a dull/bad aftertaste. This is definitely not a "thirsty" beer. It did not satisfy that certain something that keeps one wanting more...

I am happy that it was not my money that I felt was wasted, but rather Delta's. I could not finish the beer. That almost never happens to me. I cannot go into detail about why I disliked it so much, because the specifics are somewhat gone from my memory... but I do know that I DO NOT recommend this beer.

Has anyone tried it? Does anyone feel the same?? Differently??? I am open to other opinions, but not likely to agree with them in this case.

Here is what Sam Adams has to say about this beer.

1 comment: